TrueCrypt for USB-Stick
With the program can be used to protect TrueCrypt files on your USB Stick with a password.
- Download "TrueCrypt" to download and install it.
- Now connect your USB drive to the Computer.
- Open TrueCrypt and click "Create Volume".
- Select the option "Create an encrypted file cotainer" and confirm with "Next". Then select "Standard TrueCrypt Volume".
- In the window of "Volume Location" click on "Select File". Now select your USB Stick. In the field "file name" write "container.tc" and confirm with "Save" (see picture gallery).
- Confirm in the window of "Encryption Options" "Next".
- Now select how big to be to be protected folder. You want to back up the entire contents of the USB stick with a password, do not give yet the complete size, but you can still about 100MB.
- You can now specify your password.
- Then, the USB will be formatted Stick now. Select file system "FAT" and confirm with "Format".
Traveler create disc
Now you need to create the "Traveler Disk". So, you can retrieve the files on a PC, the "TrueCrypt" is not installed.
- Click in the main window, click "Tools" and "Traveler Disk Setup".
- Under the "Create Traveler Disk Files at" select your USB-Stick.
- Now click under the "AutoRun configuration" to "Auto-mount TrueCrypt volume". Select "TrueCrypt volume to mount" the previously created "container.tc"file. Confirm with "Create".
- In your USB-Stick you will now find the folder "TrueCrypt", an "autorun"file and a "container.tc". You want to save the files on your USB Stick without the password, simply move it as usual to the USB Stick.
Protect folders with a password
The folder with password protection, you open this now:
- Go to your "USB-Stick" in the folder "TrueCrypt".
- Now you can open the application "TrueCrypt".
- Search in the list of a drive and the bottom right, click on "Select File". Now select the "container.tc"file on your USB-Stick. Then click on "Mount".
- Now enter your password.
- Now switch to the Computer. Here you will now see a new hard drive. She wears the letter that you have just selected. This is the folder that is open only with a password. To locks the folder again, go back to TrueCrypt, select the drive and click "Dismount".
How to individual files with a password-protect, we will show you in this practical tip.