Under Mac OS X Mavericks, you can eject external drives also just disable it instead of you. So, you need to have your plates at every system startup and disconnect.
External hard drive in OS X Mavericks disable
- First open the "disk utility" via Spotlight search or Launchpad.
- Locate in the left column to disable hard disk.
- Click with the right mouse button on the respective Partition (the entry under the actual storage media) and select disable the menu item "Medium".
Mac OS X: External hard drive re-enable
If you want to use the hard drive, you must plug in these new settings. You can enable it the same way:
- To do this, open the "disk utility".
- Click with the right mouse button on the deactivated hard disk drive, and then select the item "Medium to activate".
Mavericks can manage your hard disk drives even better. What are the functions of the Disk utility,
you should certainly know about, read the next tip.