1. Gimp tip: enhance colors
Gimp has some tools with which you can automatically enhance the colors of a photo. Click in the Gimp menu bar, click "colors" and then on "Automatically".
- With the "Normalize"function to brighten under exposed images. Another variant of normalization, the "contrast stretching"is.
- "Levelling" tries to spread the image colors evenly across the range of possible intensities.
- With the function "color enhancement" increases the color saturation of the active layer.
- The "white balance" improving the White and Black in the images.
- You can also apply in the menu bar under "colors" and "values" the function "Auto levels". The contrast and color of the image to be adjusted with the help of this tool automatically.
2. Gimp tip: improve image sharpness
There are also some functions in exist, in order to improve the image sharpness of a photo with Gimp.
- In order to increase the image sharpness of a photo, click in the menu bar, click "Filter" and then on "Improve". You choose "Unsharp mask". The already set values usually work very well. You confirm via "OK".
- You want to reduce, however, the graininess of an image, then it is best to use the Filter "Selective Gaussian blur" with a Radius of 1 or 2. The function found in the menu under "Filter" and "blur".
3. Gimp tip: contrast and saturation setting
Often it is sufficient to change just the contrast or the saturation of the photos.
- Easy to use the function "brightness/contrast" with it. You can find the setting in the menu under "colors". Read in a separate practice tip in Detail, as differences in brightness with Gimp in the best repair.
- The color saturation you can set in Gimp using "color" and "hue/saturation" to your Liking.
Read in the next practice tip, as Sepia and Vintage effects in Gimp create.