What is a Bus in computer science?
Under a Bus is the bundling of a plurality of parallel lines. To a Bus a plurality of function blocks or components are connected. You can imagine a Bus like a bus. He transported passengers from A to B. The passengers to rise independently to a different stop or off.
- A Bus does not only control signals but also data to be exchanged.
- The volume of information that is transmitted over the Bus simultaneously, it is expressed in Bits. The Bit number corresponds to the number of lines. 32-Bit Bus width, mean 32 lines or wires in a Bus.
- You have heard the terms serial and parallel Bus. They differ in the type of data transfer. While a serial Bus transmits the data in a row, this happens in the case of parallel Transmission in packets.
The main buses in a Computer
Basically, two Bus systems are important for the Computer.
- The "system bus" is also called "internal Bus, internal bus" or "front side bus". The system bus to enable communication between the processor and the Central memory of a computer.
- In addition, there is the "expansion bus", also called "input/output bus". With the help of the extension bus of the motherboard components can communicate with each other. This includes about cards, hard drives, and the drives are on a PCI plug-in connectors connected to the count. However, it also allows you to Expand by using peripheral devices, the To through s are connected to the Bus.
We deal in lots of practice tips with interesting concepts around the Computer. So we dedicate ourselves to in the next practice tip with the mysterious term "Raid 0" and explain what it has.