Install Linux on Chromebook the Developer mode
For the Linux Installation, you need to switch to Developer mode. The path then leads via the Recovery mode.
- Press [ESC] and [F3], press and hold and then press the power button. The Chromebook should now go in the Recovery mode.
- With the key combination [Ctrl] + [D] and [ENTER] to call up the Developer mode. The Chromebook will reboot and you can log in as usual.
A Script facilitates the Installation of Linux is
The Script "Crouton" makes it easier for you with the Linux Installation on the Chromebook significantly.
- Download the Script "Crouton" down. You can leave it in your download folder.
- Now you can open with the key combination [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T] a terminal window and type the command "shell".
- You want to install Linux with XFCE as the interface, the following Behle "sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce", where the Crouton Script is in the download folder.
- You prefer Unity as an interface, the corresponding command is "sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t unity"
- Crouton loads all the associated files and takes care of the entire Installation. Only your user name and the password you need to enter yourself. After a successful Installation you should see the following in the Terminal: "chronos@localhost / $".
- With "sudo start unity" Linux should now start, if you have chosen Unity. According to to do so, type "sudo startxfce", if XFCE was installed as a surface.
Between Linux and Chrome OS change - so it goes
- With [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [F1] or [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [F2], you can switch between Chrome OS and Linux.
- Is displayed under Linux, only the Shell, press the key combination [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [F3] to move to the surface.
At the time you are not able to install Skype on your Chromebook. We will show you in the next practice tip, as you are nevertheless with your Skype contacts to chat.