1. Google Docs Alternative: ONLYOFFICE
What is ONLYOFFICE?
ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors comprise word processor, spreadsheet editor and presentation software, providing complete alternatives to Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
What makes ONLYOFFICE special?
- First, its core format is OOXML which solves any cross-compatibility problems.You will enjoy clean and intuitive interface as well. Tab-based, it allows working with multiple documents in one window.
- Second, the editors can be easily connected to the web-based solution of your choice (ONLYOFFICE, ownCloud or Nextcloud), to allow working on documents online and using a set of collaboration tools: two co-editing modes (real time and paragraph locking), commenting with mentions and built-in chat, tracking changes and version history.
- Third, users can easily add content to the editors and even extend their functionality with ready to use add-ons (Macros, Translator, YouTube, etc.). It is also possible to create your own add-on.
Another attractive thing about ONLYOFFICE is that it supports Windows, Mac OS and many Linux distros. Recently, Desktop Editors as Flatpak has been released. The suite is also available as Snap, AppImage, deb/rpm packages.
And last but not the least, recently developers have added the end-to-end encryption to allow users to securely work on documents even in the cloud.
ONLYOFFICE is distributed under AGPL v.3. The source code is available on GitHub - https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE
Download the latest desktop version: https://www.onlyoffice.com/download-desktop.aspx
Try an online version (free for personal use): https://personal.onlyoffice.com
Use ONLYOFFICE for business (server or cloud version): https://www.onlyoffice.com
Try ONLYOFFICE for mobile devices:
To learn more about end-to-end encryption: https://www.onlyoffice.com/security.aspx
2. Google Docs Alternative: Etherpad
- Operation and scope: Also, Etherpad is easy to use and provides even beginners with no major problems. The scope is limited, however, to work around compatibility problems Etherpad is more than suitable. The hassle of Sending a file and Saving in another Format, you no longer need to Etherpad.
- Cloud storage: A Cloud of your own Etherpad has. The Tool is only designed for collaborative Work on a document that is stored around in Drive or Dropbox.
- Platforms: Etherpad is only available as a Web App.
- Advantage: Etherpad requires no registration and is open source.
3. Google Docs Alternative: Zoho
- Operation and scope: The support of Zoho falls at first a little difficult, as many of these Features are represented. Here you need to get a General idea first. Zoho is second to none in scope, but in addition to calendar, notes, Sheet, and presentations, you can operate with the Business Apps, for example, Customer Relation Management, or campaign plan.
- Cloud storage: Everything is in the house Cloud are saved. But also the Export is possible. You start with 1 GByte of free space.
- Platforms: Zoho has various Android Apps, such as Zoho Docs or Zoho Writer. Also for the Computer Version ready.
- Advantage: Zoho has more features in store as Google Docs.
4. Google Docs Alternative: Protected Text
- Operation and scope: protected text is a simple Text Editor with no formatting options, tables or other additional functions. Simply create your document by clicking on ProtectedText.com a name set. When Saving, you choose a password with which the document is encrypted. In a document, you can open multiple Tabs.
- Cloud storage: The documents are always stored on the servers of protectedtext.com . An Export is not provided, and only manually via Copy-and-paste possible.
- Platforms: protected-text is only available as a Web Version available.
- Advantage: The Service requires no registration, is ad-free and open source. In addition, no user will be saved-specific data, or Cookies used and all the notes are end-to-end-encrypted - the password never leaves the Browser.