Smoke detectors-mandatory: you should know
Smoke detectors in all German Federal States – at least for new buildings – mandatory. For existing buildings, a smoke detector required, only in Berlin and Brandenburg is the largest part of Germany already, this occurs only at the end of the year 2020.
- In apartments and single-family homes, it is prescribed, children's rooms, bedrooms, corridors and escape routes with smoke alarms in accordance with DIN EN 14604 equip.
- In the Federal States of Baden-Württemberg, Berlin, Brandenburg and Saxony, other rooms must be at least one smoke detector protected.
- Smoke detectors must be mounted, that this at an early stage of a fire report can. To do this, follow the instructions in the operating instructions of the device or read our guide, which we have linked for you.
Smoke detector: responsibility and maintenance
For the purchase and Installation of smoke detectors, the owner of the property is responsible, only in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, the tenant of the obligation. The responsibility for the regular maintenance varies from state to state. For this purpose, you can ask if your municipality or commune.
- The jurisdiction for the maintenance by the lessor, is allowed to settle the costs as operating costs on your rent.
- However, it can be transferred - if both agree - the maintenance obligation by the landlord to the tenant. Then the tenant can check his smoke detector itself.
- You must perform as a tenant, regular maintenance, is the landlord of the duty of care. He needs to check whether proper maintenance was carried out.
- This is considered as a modernization investment , and can give you the landlord with 11 per cent of the cost annually is charged.