Knife types from the West
Among the common types of blades of each and every kitchen, the chef and the bread knife. The tomato and cheese knife is also common in the everyday kitchen. Each knife comes with its own edge differently to the food and helps in rapid preparation.
- Probably the most important knife is the chef knife. It is the universal tool in every kitchen. It can be used for Cutting meat, fish and vegetables. The chef's knife it is usually 20 cm long.
- The bread knife is next to the chef's knife is the second most important knife of a German kitchen. Bread can only be difficult with a smooth blade cut. The serrated edge of the knife to helps, therefore, crusty surfaces to break through. Normally, bread knife are about 23 cm long.
- The Tourne knife or paring knife is slightly smaller and is suitable for Peeling. The shape is curved, so that the Peeling becomes easier.
- Tomato knife to create what even the sharpest knife can't make it. With its fine serrated edge cut into the resilient skin of tomatoes.
- The food culture of the cheese is diverse. So you need several versions of the cheese knife. Hard cheese knives are compact and robust.
- The soft cheeses properly cut, the friction as low as possible. For this reason, parts of the cheese diameter are punched inside out.
- The ham knife is not only for the ham thought. The narrow blade creates less friction and low resistance when Cutting. It is also excellent for meat and fish. Especially if you want to cut thin slices.
- The ham knife, in particular embodiments. This is the salmon knife. The blade is longer and flexible. Often this has a fluted edge, which also reduces the friction during cutting. Under a fluted edge refers to blade-fine round notches in the knife. It can be used for salmon and fine Serrano schniken.
Asian Knife Types
Food in Asian countries, especially in Japan, be prepared. Therefore chefs use in the East other knife types for the preparation.
- The Santoku knife means "Three virtues". The Name comes edit, of his ability to fish, meat and vegetables. Thus, it is the Japanese counterpart to the European chef's knife. Here, we used the high blade as a sort of Palette. The material is placed directly on the blade, and directly into the pot or pan to be promoted.
- The Chinese chef's knife is in the traditional Chinese cuisine the Central knife. In Form it resembles a hoe, has to do with but nothing to. With the high self-weight it is ideal for effortless Cutting of vegetables, meat and fish. So it can be Packed due to the large blade, the clippings out.
- The Nakiri or Usuba is a vegetable knife. Translated it's called "leaf cutter". Chefs use it for larger quantities of vegetables, because the width of the blade of the Nakiri knife protrudes through the Cut out. So it can be obtained quite easily in the pan.
- The Sashimi or Yanagiba knife is a special fish knife. No sushi chef wants to give it up. It is extremely sharp and polished on one side. The blade length is 36 cm long, but can be even longer. Is the knife used properly, can fish filleted and in the finest of slices to be cut.
- However, the use of the knife has to be practiced. With the one-sided hollow knife-grinding, and the wide blade on the back requires the Sashimi-a special cutting technique. So train Japanese sushi chefs dominate for many years to do this technique.
- The Deba knife is characterized by its extremely wide blade back and its one-sided cut. It comes from the traditional Japanese cuisine, and comes in the dismantling work. The top-of-done filigree Work. The rear part of the blade bone chop.
In the next article, you will learn how to knife properly sharpen.